Sunday 12 October 2008

I want Bruce Forsyth as Toastmaster of the Evening!

Why, when there are so many experienced Toastmasters out there, do I want to roster Bruce Forsyth as Toastmaster of the Evening when, as far as I am aware, he has never been to a Toastmasters International meeting in his life?

It is because I have seen him be TOE (on TV not at a club) and already know he would be perfect. Have you seen Stricly Come Dancing on BBC1 (in the US there is a similar show called Dancing with the Stars)? From a structural point of view Strictly Come Dancing is just like a Toastmasters meeting and the presenter's role is identical to the TOE role.

Think about it. Each Saturday evening Bruce gives the audience a big warm welcome, he explains what is going to happen during the show (this is invaluable to people seeing the show for the first time and a useful reminder to those that have) and tells them how they can vote for their favourite dancers.

 He gives each dancing couple an enthusiastic introduction. Have you seen how he treats the couples that get a blasting from the judges? If a speaker or evaluator crashed and burned at a Toastmasters meeting what would he do? He would shake their hand warmly, tell them that they are his favourites and make sure they got a hearty round of applause. Perfect!

He keeps the proceedings positive and on track, smoothing over any blunders that happen along the way. This is why I want to roster him as my next Toastmaster of the Evening. Though now it occurs to me that I have got this the wrong way round. Surely what I mean to say is that decent TOEs would make fantastic TV show hosts which is what Toastmasters International is all about; giving people skills they need to shine.



2 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

It just goes to show that age is no barrier, I think Brucie would be a brilliant guest, why not give it a try?

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Yes, It's all the same sort of thing. Sometimes with the addition of autocue.